I’ve always wanted to make filled cupcakes. This was my first attempt. I guess using the yogurt for the filling gave me less guilt.
Cafe Mocha Filled Cupcakes
I've always wanted to make filled cupcakes. This was my first attempt. I guess using the yogurt for the filling gave me less guilt.
- 1+1/2 cups flour all purpose
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1+3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1+1/4 cups coffee strong brewed
- 2 containers (6 ounce) vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coffee strong brewed
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup shortening softened
- 1/2 cup coffee strong brewed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line or grease two 12 cup muffin tins.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until creamy.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients beating just until blended.
- Mix in coffee until smooth, do not over mix.
- Fill muffin tins 1/2 to 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely on wire racks.
- Combine chocolate chips and coffee in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat at 15 second intervals, stirring between.
- Heat just until melted, do not overheat.
- Let cool slightly.
- Stir in the yogurt and powdered sugar just until blended.
- Add more powdered sugar if mixture is too thin.
- Cut a 3/4" round circle out of the top of a cupcake, an apple corer works great.
- Fill each cupcake with filling and replace the cut out portion.
- Chill cupcakes for 20 minutes.
- Blend all icing ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat at medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes with as much icing as desired.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate or chocolate sprinkles.