Cherry Lemon Bread
I bought a whole bag full of lemons and I can’t remember what I bought them for. Needless to say, I need to use them up before they go bad. So, everything is coming up lemons!
I bought a whole bag full of lemons and I can't remember what I bought them for. Needless to say, I need to use them up before they go bad. So, everything is coming up lemons!
- 1+3/4 cups flour divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 1+1/3 cups sugar
- 1+1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 cup rainier cherries pitted, chopped
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4+1/2 teaspoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease and flour loaf pan.
- Combine 1+1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Add eggs one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture, beating after each one until well combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture, blending on low speed.
- Add the milk and lemon juice just until blended.
- Place cherries in a ziplock bag, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and toss to coat.
- Fold coated cherries into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, shaking pan to distribute evenly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and continue to cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt.
- Brush or drizzle glaze over the top of the bread.
Recipe slightly adapted from Dish Dish