I’ve had this colorful fruit salad many times at cookouts and potlucks. I had some cottage cheese that I had to use up, so this dish came to mind. I couldn’t wait for it to completely set before I dug in.
I've had this colorful fruit salad many times at cookouts and potlucks. I had some cottage cheese that I had to use up, so this dish came to mind. I couldn't wait for it to completely set before I dug in.
- 1 can (20 ounce) crushed pineapple, drained reserve juice
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained reserve juice
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 package (3 ounce) cherry Jell-o
- 1/4 cup coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine crushed pineapple, oranges, cherries, marshmallows and cottage cheese.
- Measure juice from pineapple and oranges enough water to make 1 cup of liquid, add water if needed.
- In a small saucepan, bring the juice/water to a boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in jello until dissolved.
- Stir in 1 cup cold water, stirring to blend.
- Add jello to fruit mixture.
- Toss to blend well.
- Refrigerate 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place coconut on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until coconut is toasted, tossing once during baking.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.
Tagged: ambrosia, cottage cheese, fruit, fruit salad, jello, recipe, salad