Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions

It's amazing that just three ingredients could create such a variety of flavor.  This dish comes together very nicely and would be great served over mashed potatoes.

It’s amazing that just three ingredients could create such a variety of flavor. This dish comes together very nicely and would be great served over mashed potatoes.

Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions

4 Servings

Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions

It's amazing that just three ingredients could create such a variety of flavor. This dish comes together very nicely and would be great served over mashed potatoes.

Ingredients:

• 6 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 large head cabbage, cored and shredded coarsely
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Place the bacon in a large saucepan.
  2. Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add the onion and cook, stir to coat with bacon grease.
  4. Continue to cook the onion until it caramelizes, about 10 minutes.
  5. Toss in the cabbage, stirring to coat and cook for another 10 minutes.
  6. Season with seasoning salt and pepper.
  7. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  8. Serve hot.

Notes

Recipe adapted from All Recipes

Comments: 11

1. kim February 29, 2016 at 7:00 am Reply

was very excited to try this. is one tablespoon a typo on the season salt? i cut it down a bit from that and it was still way too salty for us. going to try again with much less salt.

2. Heather January 10, 2016 at 4:30 pm Reply

Could you do this in a slow cooker? Maybe cook the bacon and onion first, then combine cabbage,etc. and maybe a tad of chicken broth? I need slow cooker recipes for Wednesday nights. Thanks

• The Hungry Hoarder May 31, 2016 at 10:11 pm Reply

I think it would have a different texture. The frying allows the onion and cabbage to caramelize. The crock would more or less steam it making the dish moist. I’m sure it would taste okay, it would just be different.

3. Marci Milcoff November 8, 2015 at 7:19 pm Reply

We loved it. I didn’t add any spices as I’m not suppose to have a lot of salt and with the bacon (a big no no but who cares) it was perfect. My husband did add a bit of pepper.

4. amber June 24, 2015 at 4:23 pm Reply

How much is in a serving?

• The Hungry Hoarder July 21, 2015 at 2:34 pm Reply

About 2/3 of a cup. The cabbage reduces quite a bit while cooking.

5. josh June 22, 2015 at 2:17 am Reply

My wife got me a stuffed burger press for father’s day. this is definitely going inside a burger. on it’s own it’s awesome, but putting it inside a grilled hamburger is going to be magical

• Ralondra November 17, 2015 at 1:31 pm Reply

Did u ever try the burger? It sounds amazing!

6. Tina Ray October 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm Reply

My neighbor and I had this last night. It is truly the best cabbage ever. Heavenly in fact!

• The Hungry Hoarder January 6, 2015 at 9:02 am Reply

So glad you and your neighbor enjoyed it Tina, I love cabbage any way it’s cooked!

What's on your mind?